Certified Radon Testing

Did you know that radon levels vary by season? Generally speaking, radon levels are lower in the summer than in the winter. There are a couple of reasons for this. Our homes act as vacuums and draw soil gasses inside of them year round. As the weather gets colder we heat our homes, which add to this draw through a process known as thermal stacking. As a result, radon levels are typically the highest inside our homes in the winter. Did you also know that weather events such as high wind and brief but powerful storms can influence radon levels? These can pressurize or depressurize our houses depending on wind direction, and atmospheric pressure.

EPA Radon Measurement Protocol requires certain testing conditions called “closed house” conditions to be strictly followed. These are in place to standardize testing procedures for relatively consistent test results from property to property. Knowing these standards allows a certified radon measurement specialist to test at the optimal time for the most accurate annual average. NOT knowing these standards may cost you a mitigation system that wasn’t necessary, or conversely, put your health at risk because the test was not valid.

When having a Radon test performed, make certain that you use a Radon Measurement Specialist who is certified through the American Association of Radon Scientists & Technologists National Radon Proficiency Program (AARST-NRPP), or the National Radon Safety Board (NRSB). Their websites are www.nrpp.info and www.nrsb.org respectively. You can search for certified measurement and/or mitigation providers on either site. These professional organizations have stringent testing and education standards before membership is allowed, as well as Continuing Education requirements each year. Keep in mind that a Certified Mitigator MAY NOT be a Certified Measurement Specialist as they are two separate certifications. Jay Gorder is certified with AARST-NRPP as a Standard & Analytical Measurement Specialist, AND a certified Radon Mitigation Specialist. MOST home inspectors are NOT certified or insured to test or mitigate radon, so ask for certification credentials and radon insurance before hiring them to test.

For information on Radon Measurement Protocols in Homes click here.

Call us today to schedule your Radon test!


Contact Us

P.O. Box 357
Kalispell, Montana 59903
Office – 406-756-3636

Send us a message.